- !Scott County, Arkansas, A Gateway To The West by O. Alden Smith Pgs. 219 and 220
Stephen Giles Smith
"Stephen Giles Smith's joviality and good nature are well remembered by the citizens of Parks. His favorite by word was an inoffensive but emphatic "By The By!" Friends still tell of his encounter with newly formed traffic laws when road building was just emerging back in earlier times.
Steve liked to walk in the middle of the road and when admonished of his infraction of the new rules, he replied, "I pay my road taxes like everybody else and By The By, I'm taking my part right down the middle!" He departed as he had come, right down the middle of the road, much to the delight of onlookers.
Stephen Giles Smith (Steve), son of James Smith and Rachel Pettit (1860-1933) dau/o Giles Pettit of Blackfork Twp. Giles Pettit, b. in Spartanburg, S.C. in 1825, moved to Benton Co., AL in 1850, then to Calhoun Co., AL by 1860 at Peaks Hill. Then by 1880 he and his wife, Mary J. Poole came to Blackfork Community. Their childen were listed as Monroe Jackson Pettit, Lucinda Pettit, Sarah Jane Pettit who md. John Welch. Rachel L.E. Pettit who first md. James Smith, then after James Smith d. in 1886(?), Rachael md. Amzi Love Watkins of Harvey who had lost his wife leaving him with a son Walter (1880-1943) about Steve's age. Steve hired out as a farm hand to William C. Hawkins of Parks and remained with them until married. He helped his grandparents Giles Dal Pettit and Mary J. Poole Pettit get settled in Parks; they stayed with M.C. Hawkins at first. Giles and Mary are buried in the Parks Community Cemetery.
1. Steven Giles Smith and Kate Goolsby of the Georgia Goolsbys and their issue were: 1. Twin sons Arvin Smith and Olen Smith b. 3 Oct. 1904; Arvin d. age 4, Olen md. Rena Epperson (b. 12 Aug. 1908), dau. of Geo. and Laura L. Epperson.
2. Connie Smith, a son, md. Demage Sims, dau/o Oliver Sims whos issue were a. Luann Smith md. Ray Tucker and b. Mary Lee Smith md. Joe Ware.
3. Clyde Smith (b. 23 Nov 1907 d. 11 Sep 1969) md Dorothy Hawkins (b 2 July 1908) dau/o Ral and Sadie Dooley Hawkins of Parks. Issue: a. Clyde Smith Jr. md. Sarah who have 1. Robert Wayne Smith and 2. Kathy Smith.
4. Erma Smith md. 1. Albert Edmonds, no issue; 2. Claude Bills, Issue: a. Stephen Duncan Bills.